Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dead & Buried (1981)

Director: Gary Sherman
Stars: James Farentino, Nancy Locke, Lisa Blount, Robert Englund

Review:

While I am doing a little research on zombie movies to check if I have missed out anything during the early 80s, I found this movie that I do not know before. I try to find it and watch it, and I do not consider this in our sense a zombie movie. So this is why it is hard to define what a zombie is. The list of zombie films in Wikipedia apparently employ the definition that zombies are simply dead people coming back to life. But when you think to yourself "I want to watch a zombie movie", those would not be coming to mind. Is Evil Dead a zombie movie? No since they are clearly possessed, and not sure if they were dead or not. If Evil Dead is a zombie movie, why not Paranormal Activity?

Dead & Buried is one of those kind. A group of people that lives in a small town kills foreign visitors. The visitors come back to life, and join the group of murderers. They were brought back and controlled by a dark power, and the local shriff want to find out who is controlling them.

This movie is no masterpiece but I found it entertaining in telling an interesting story. The basic setting of the story made me think of The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft, in which both involves a small fishing village with un-welcoming townsfolks that are controlled by a dark power. The story is unpredictable that you would not know what is going on at the beginning of the movie, and have a twist ending that were made popular and praised eighteen years after this movie.

Don O'Bannon, who also did Alien (1979), Aliens (1986), and Total Recall (1990), contributed in this movie. I do not know the amount of contribution, but it would be almost as good as his other works. Casting with mostly unknown stars, the acting maybe a bit stiff, but it is still an interesting movie for you to watch at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment